For the first time this season, the Michigan State hockey team has won back-to-back games.
The Spartans recorded a 1-0 CCHA victory over Alaska late Friday night at the Carlson Center as Greg Wolfe’s first period score made the difference.
Will Yanakeff got the start in goal and registered 37 saves for MSU, which was outshot 37-14. It marked the first shutout victory of the season for the Spartans (10-20-3, 8-16-1-0).
“Will has been battling every day in practice, and we came up here with the thought that we would probably split the goaltenders this weekend,” MSU coach Tom Anastos said in a released statement. “We went with our gut feel tonight to play him. He was absolutely outstanding, and I am really happy for him.”
MSU had gone 0-5-3 after its previous eight victories this season.
The game’s lone score came at the 7:53 mark when Wolfe received a pass from behind the goal line and beat Alaska goaltender John Keeney.
Alaska finished 0-for-4 on the power play in the contest.
MSU, which won the opening game of a CCHA series for the first time this season, has won three of it’s last four games.
The Spartans will try for the sweep at 11:05 p.m. tonight.
About this blogChris Solari
Chris Solari has been with LSJ Media since 2006 and has covered Spartan athletics since 1994 while attending MSU. He also was an award-winning writer while covering South Dakota State athletics from 2002-06.Brian Calloway
Brian is a native of Coloma, Mich., and a 2005 graduate of Eastern Michigan. He has worked at the Lansing State Journal since October 2010.
- Jim Vander Galien on Seasons winding down for former MSU basketball standouts
- kirk conner on Former Spartan Draymond Green makes most of extra playing time
- Jim from Okemos on MSU women’s basketball: Incoming recruit Gussert hoping to finish prep career at Breslin
- Spartan Alum on Former Spartan Draymond Green makes most of extra playing time
- Brian Calloway on Former Spartan Draymond Green makes most of extra playing time
- MSU spring football draft
- MSU lands 2015 QB from Arizona
- Randolph helps Grizzlies finish regular season strong
- Seasons winding down for former MSU basketball standouts
- MSU basketball: A requiem for a season – and time – lost
- Draymond Green making impact for surging Warriors
- Knicks sign Shannon Brown for remainder of season