Friday could cause some serious shifts in mid-Michigan's basketball standings. Here's a quick look at some of the biggest matchups.
5. Girls: Lansing Catholic (8-2) at Portland (8-1) — Both are undefeated in the CAAC White. Portland is state-ranked, but the Cougars have proven they can play with some of the area's better teams.
4. Boys: Haslett (5-2) at Eaton Rapids (4-3) — Both are coming off CAAC Gold losses last Friday, and whoever wins this one will have a much stronger chance at staying in the league race.
3. Boys: Lansing Catholic (4-3) at Portland (6-2) — The Cougars are a bit of a surprise this season holding a slight one-game edge on the Raiders in the CAAC White. But Portland might also be an unexpected frontrunner after its solid start.
2. Girls: Okemos (4-4) at East Lansing (8-1) — These two rivals are again undefeated in league games atop the CAAC Blue. But the Chieftains have cruised a little under the radar this season, and could stun the area with an upset.
1. Boys: Holt (7-1) at Eastern (6-1) — Mid-Michigan's top two teams so far meet for the first time, and the consensus seems to be that the Quakers are favored. Eastern definitely has the edge on star power; Holt might have it on depth. A few lesser-known players might end up with the most important contributions in what should be a close one.