College football signing day is often a challenging day for sportswriters. One of my more vivid memories is from a few years back in my days covering Western Michigan, sitting in my car in a Shell gas station parking lot in Galesburg, finishing one last signing day story before driving in horrible winter traffic to Bowling Green for a men’s basketball game.
It was the dreaded home signing day-drivable road hoops game doubleheader. I arrived at halftime and considered it a success.
Tonight, Michigan State hosts Minnesota at 7 at Breslin Center, a few hours after Mark Dantonio’s signing day press conference. An easier day than the Kalamazoo-to-Bowling trek of a few years ago.
Here are links to coverage leading into both events. If you want to discuss either or both this afternoon, I’ll be hosting a live chat at 1 p.m.
Signing day …
- An interactive look at the 18 prospects expected to sign letters of intent with MSU today
- My column from today’s LSJ: Catchphrases not all spin for MSU on this signing day
- Joe Rexrode writes that Erie, Pa.’s Delton Williams could have quickest impact on MSU’s football program
- Rexrode’s late January article on QB Damion Terry, another player from Erie, Pa., who could become the player to watch in this class
- 247Sports’ Dan Kilbridge joins me for two episodes of Talkin’ Spartans, breaking down MSU’s class
- A piece by Brian Calloway on incoming tight end Dylan Chmura, son of former Packers’ star Mark Chmura
- Calloway also caught up with incoming defensive end Demetrius Cooper, of Chicago
- To follow the signings as they arrive on the fax machine and what Dantonio is saying about the players, follow @MSU_Football and @DantonioMark on Twitter (yes, Dantonio is now on Twitter.
For coverage leading into tonight’s basketball game against Minnesota …
- Here’s an interactive tipoff for tonight’s game, with analysis of the matchup and a prediction
- Here’s a preview from Rexrode
- And, lastly, a Talkin’ Spartans from me earlier this week, looking at the game while, of course, standing among the snowflakes
Happy signing day.